Spirodela duckweed Toxkit
The Spirodela duckweed toxicity test is intended for toxicity screening of chemicals, effluents, pesticides, surface waters, wastewaters, groundwaters, sediment pore waters and elutriates.
Duckweed toxkit F contains all the materials you need to perform two 72h growth inhibition tests with the higher aquatic plant duckweed species Spirodela polyrhiza. This cost-effective and culture-independent bioassay strictly adheres to ISO Standard 20227.
Contents of the Duckweed toxkit F
- Tubes with turions (dormant vegetative buds), which you can germinate on demand to supply the live biota for the duckweed toxicity test.
- Concentrated growth and toxicant dilution medium, germination/test containers and a spatula for the transfer of the germinated turions to the test plate.
All test materials and equipment included in the Duckweed toxkit F are available separately.
- We produce high-quality turions in strictly controlled conditions. This way, we preclude variability associated with recruitment/maintenance of live stocks in conventional duckweed bioassays.
- The quality of the standardised test medium is highly uniform, thanks to simple dilution of concentrated solutions of “Steinberg medium” with deionised water.
- A Quality Control test with a reference chemical is described in detail, so you can easily check accuracy and reproducibility.
- You can germinate the turions on demand, which eliminates the need and the costs of continuous culturing and maintenance of your test organisms.
- The Spirodela duckweed toxicity test requires minimal space and equipment:
- incubator with lateral lights
- conventional laboratory glassware
- If you store the turions properly, you can prolong their shelf life for several months and reduce test scheduling constraints.
- Simple handlings and scorings.
- Total performance time of the growth inhibition test is approximately 2 hours.
- Area measurements of the first fronds are displayed on a photo of the multiwell test container, without any prior manipulation of the test organisms.
- We can provide you with a computer program for easy Toxkit data treatment and calculations of the 72h EC50.
- The duckweed toxkit F is used in many environmental laboratories and research institutes worldwide and is validated by an extensive international interlaboratory comparison.
- Our Spirodela duckweed toxicity test complies with ISO Standard 20227, for regulatory testing with aquatic higher plants.
Papers and Thechnical information