Algaltoxkit F Selenastrum
The marine water algae toxicity test is intended for toxicity screening of chemicals, contaminated coastal and estuarine waters, effluents or elutriates with high conductivity values and marine sediment pore waters.
Algaltoxkit M contains all materials necessary to perform two 72h growth inhibition tests with the marine diatom Phaeodactylum tricornutum. This cost-effective and culture-independent marine Algal toxicity test strictly adheres to ISO Standard 10253.
The marine algae toxicity test is a 72h bioassay based on growth inhibition of the marine microalgae Phaeodactylum tricornutum, with calculation of the 72h EC50. Learn more about the marine algae toxicity test procedure
Contents of the ALGALTOXKIT M
Each MARINE Algae toxicity test contains all the materials necessary to perform two growth inhibition tests with the marine diatom Phaeodactylum tricornutum. Easy to follow instructions and detailed illustrations are provided in the kits for the conduct of range-finding and definitive tests. An algal inoculates composed of diatoms in steady state condition are included in the kits, and can be stored for several months. The micro-algae needed for the conduct of the assays are obtained by 3 days pre-culturing.
- Tubes with an algal inoculum composed of diatoms in “steady-state” condition. You can obtain the microalgae you need for the conduct of the assays by preculturing the inoculum for 3 days.
- Concentrated algal growth and toxicant dilution medium, long cell cuvettes and holding trays.
- Short Bench Protocol and standard operating procedure brochure with easy-to-follow instructions and detailed illustrations.
- OD/N regression sheet, data scoring sheets and a Quality Control specification sheet with batch number of the diatom inoculum and the media.
All test materials and equipment included in the Algaltoxkit M are available separately.
- We produce the uniform, high-quality diatom inoculum in strictly controlled conditions. This way, we preclude variability associated with year-round maintenance and subculturing of laboratory algal stocks.
- The quality of the microalgae growth medium is highly uniform, thanks to simple dilution of concentrated solutions of selected chemicals with deionised water.
- A Quality Control test with a reference chemical is described in detail, so you can easily check accuracy and reproducibility.
- The marine Algaltoxkit M uses unique disposable “long cell” exposure chambers (10 cm path length), which serve as measuring cuvettes for direct determination of algal growth by optical density measurements.
- Labour time for testing is significantly reduced by the direct measurement of algal growth in the long cells in a spectrophotometer with a 10 cm cuvette holder.
- The marine algae toxicity test requires minimal space and equipment:
- incubator with lateral lights
- conventional laboratory glassware
- If you store the diatom inoculum properly, you can prolong the shelf life of the microalgae for several months and reduce test scheduling constraints.
- Simple handlings and scorings.
- You can start the marine algae toxicity test after only 3 days of preculturing the algal inoculum.
- Daily scoring of the optical density of the microalgae in the long cells takes less than 15 min.
- We can provide you with a computer program for easy Toxkit data treatment.
The sensitivity of the marine Algaltoxkit M toxicity test is comparable to the sensitivity of the conventional algal growth inhibition test with microalgae from laboratory cultures.
- The marine Algaltoxkit M is used in many environmental laboratories and research institutes worldwide and is validated by extensive international interlaboratory comparisons.
- You can find a substantial number of publications, posters, reports and reviews for various uses.
- Our marine algae toxicity test complies with the principles of ISO Standard 10253 for regulatory testing with microalgae.