The acute, cyst-based rotifer toxicity test is intended for toxicity screening of chemicals, effluents and wastewaters, sediment pore waters and elutriates, surface and groundwaters.
In Rotoxkit F, you find all the materials you need to perform six acute 24h mortality tests with the freshwater rotifer Brachionus calyciflorus. This small-scale, cost-effective, culture-independent, user-friendly and highly standardised bioassay conforms to ISO Standard 19827
The acute freshwater rotifer toxicity test is a 24h bioassay based on the mortality of the test organisms, with calculation of the 24h LC50. Learn more about the rotifer toxicity test procedure
Contents of the Rotoxkit F
- Tubes with cysts (dormant eggs), which you can hatch on demand within 20h to supply the live biota for the Brachionus calyciflorus toxicity test.
- Concentrated hatching and toxicant dilution medium, hatching and test containers and micropipettes for the transfer of the organisms.
- Short Bench Protocol and standard operating procedure brochure with easy-to-follow instructions and detailed illustrations.
- Data scoring sheets and a Quality Control specification sheet with batch number of the cysts and the media.
All test materials and equipment included in the Rotoxkit F are available separately.
- We produce high-quality cysts in strictly controlled conditions. This way, we preclude variability associated with recruitment/maintenance of live stocks in conventional bioassays.
- The quality of the standardised test medium is highly uniform, thanks to simple dilution of concentrated solutions of selected salts with deionised water.
- A Quality Control test with a reference chemical is described in detail, so you can easily check accuracy and reproducibility.
- You can hatch the cysts on demand, which eliminates the need and the costs of continuous culturing and maintenance of your test organisms.
- The freshwater rotifer toxicity test requires minimal space and equipment:
- dissection microscope
- incubator with lateral lights
- conventional laboratory glassware
- If you store the cysts properly, you can prolong their shelf life for several months and reduce test scheduling constraints.
- Simple handlings and scorings.
- Specially designed test wells for easy and rapid transfer of the test organisms under a dissecting microscope.
- Total performance time of the Brachionus calyciflorus toxicity assay is approximately 1 hour.
- We can provide you with a computer program for easy Toxkit data treatment.
- Brachionus calyciflorus is quite sensitive to particular chemicals and mixtures.
- The freshwater Rotoxkit F is used in many environmental laboratories and research institutes worldwide
- You can find a substantial number of publications, posters, reports and reviews for various uses.
- Our freshwater rotifer toxicity test strictly adheres to the principles of ISO Standard 19827 for regulatory testing with rotifers.